Still alive after jaw surgery

The last few days have not been easy- now I understand why people say that the initial recovery is the hardest part of it all.


So Wednesday morning, I make my way to the hospital for my jaw surgery and was scheduled for 1:30 pm- well it tuns out another patient's surgery was running really late. At the time, I thought hey maybe just maybe they will forget about me lol... So at around 3pm, an RN comes in and tries to administer my Saline IV since I was getting dehydrated. Things didnt go so well, since my veins are ridiculously small, he was unable to get it and I bruised. Not fun, anyways signed a few more consent forms and got to meet the anesthesiologist. He knew exactly how to get into my little veins and get the drugs running .. So after 20 minutes, the nurses come and tell me that its my turn. I was a little teary eyed when I had say goodbye to my family, but tried to hold restraint... I surrendered and let go of my fears.
 So they wheeled me off to the operating room and before I went in the anesthesiologist wanted to knock me out before they dragged me in, and I was like "Noooooo, I want to see the inside of the operating room"... he look at me like I was crazy, but I said I had to see it... Now see how I get myself into trouble lol. Anyways I get in, the room is bloody freezing, all the 'equipment is there', they transfer me to the operating table and panic lit up in my eyes. Dr.G tries to comfort me, and I told him twice, please take good care of me, I trust you. He said of course, he smiled, and the anesthesiologist pumped me with some good stuff and I was out...

7 hours later my surgery was over, Dr.G met up with my parents and explained that everything went well, and he was very happy with the outcome... They did upper, lower, tiny genio and a pinch of grafting on my right cheek and removed my bottom two wisdom teeth ! On my end I was in the ICU for several hours, then wheeled into my own room, I felt like a bus had run me over. My body was aching, heavy, slow. Now the worst part of this was swallowing. It felt like there were sets of razor blades lining my throat anytime I tried to swallow water/juice/etc. I was hooked to an IV so that kept me from getting dehydrated! The entire night I wasnt aware what was going on, I dont remember much besides using the suction tube to pick out gunk and the morphine button.

 I was supposed to be discharged that morning, but since I didnt get into my room till 1:30 am and couldnt move I'd have to stay another night.
Dr.G left to a conference so Dr.Arnett came to take care of me and see how things were going, super nice guy held my hand tried to explain to me what was going on. Anyways I had to stay another night since well I didnt have enough time to catch my breath post op. Now the most annoying thing was my mouth/nose bleeds anytime I had to get up and go to the bathroom I'd have blood drip everywhere. Since jaw surgery patients are high fall risk, a nurse would help me go to the bathroom. I had to buzz for a nurse whenever I needed to go to the loo, make sure I wasnt tangled in my IV wires or such. It was frustrating for me and them, because my bladder is a few decades older than me lol, and when I have enough fluids I need to go quite frequently. There were two nurses that really made my recovery easier, Marla and Nicole. They were very friendly, positive, comforting exactly what a jaw surgery patient needs.


A few close friends sent me flowers, messages, etc and they totally brightened my mood!
The next morning Dr.A popped in and said I looked better, saw how much fluids I had downed that night and gave them permission to discharge me the following morning.
 I got home and just plopped in bed, dozing in and out between meds. I dont remember much else.


Update for day 3-4


  • Pain 3/10, mostly lower jaw where it was moved and below my left nostril, Im taking tramadol to keep it under wraps.. My ears feel a ton of pressure and hurt
  • Swelling 8/10, under my eyes is puffy, cheeks are puffy, lips are out of this world lol.
  • Bruising 2/10 I feel tenderness/soreness on my neck, under eyes, Im expecting this to increase in the following days more bruising to appear.
  • Sensation: I can feel my upper lip to my nostrils, eyes up to forehead and around the outside of my face. My lower lip and chin are completely numb
  • Energy 2/10, I try to take 5 minute walks every few hours so I dont get a blood clot. They also made sure I was wearing these socks to prevent blood clots, not the most comfortable thing but they do their job!



I see my surgeon in two days so he can see whats up...

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the flip side! I hope your next few weeks go smoothly. Speedy healing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nichole!! Thank you so much, this is probably the hardest part so far, I hope it goes by quickly :)

      Delete

 

Blogroll

Blogger news

About

The pursuit of a beautiful smile, healthy bite, and balanced facial aesthetics.