Countdown to Jaw Surgery!!!


It's been a  MAD ride so far!! Im a week away from jaw surgery. This is it !!!

I have to start this post by thanking the people who've been there for me- kind beyond reason, supportive, and flipping amazing. The blogs, Youtube journeys, and jaw forums have all been invaluable in connecting with jaw people. I've kept this jaw surgery experience private from most (not all) of my real life friends and buddies- they just wont get it. Im not in the mood to deal with questions of 'why' and 'do you really need it'. Without the people who are going through and have gone through this process, it would be very lonesome and even more frightening. Certain jaw friends over the last few weeks have made me laugh, let me cry comfortably and gave me stillness of heart, Terra, Gian, and Tresa, thank you <3.

The final countdown to jaw surgery is quite heavy. The barrage of emotions, from hour to hour, day to day, can become inundating. You are excited to get this 'problem' fixed, yet afraid that something, anything could go wrong. I mean who isnt afraid in the run up to jaw surgery? From what I've heard, this is, totally normal. I've already lost 5 lbs in the last two weeks, my appetite has completely disappeared, and Im forcing myself to shove food down my gullet.  The only way to go about this is to surrender, give up control and let go. Its a really difficult thing to, but you have to make yourself aware of it so you can keep going. It seems surreal, I still dont believe its going to happen, like I'll magically disappear the night before or something haha! 

So as of day 14 I've been banned from taking aspirin, ibuprofen and any other pain killer. I've also been banned from day 10 from eating any of the following because they increase the risk of bleeding : angelica root, arnica flower, anise, bogbean, borage seed oil, bromelain, capsicum, celery seed, flax seed, chamomile(nooooo), clove, fenugreek, feverfew, garlic, ginger, gingko, hose chestnut, licorice root, onion, parsley, green tea, ginseng, tumeric etc etc etc...  

On Thursday, my hooks get put on. Monday I have my final surgical meeting and treatment plan.  Tuesday is my physical appointment and Wednesday is well d-day. 

I will try to post more and include pictures, because I know pictures make everything better.
If you are on instagram please stop by and say hello, my username is :mintylemonade :)

Just let it go, be still my soul. This song has been on repeat.



3 comments:

  1. It's funny, I was thinking about you today... No I'm not creeping you!! Lol it's "Houseofcash" who started April Buddies on archwire.

    I know exactly what your feeling right now. I'm getting mine the next day after yours. So I'm right there with you my friend. I'll be checking for your updates, we can complain about our problems to each other!! Lol maybe even have a few pity parties.


    Just remember the reasons you choose to do this. That has helped me a great deal. I have stopped reading other stories as some of the negative ones were bringing me down. To be honest I was starting to get a little anxiety yesterday. But it comes and goes. Keeping busy definitely helps take your mind off it.

    Tomorrow I have my pre-op appointment, they asked me to bring any medication I'm currently taking. Which is only multi vitamins and herbal meds to prevent me from getting a cold. So I'm sure that is when they will tell me to stop taking anything I shouldn't.

    Remember, stay strong,keep active and before you know it, will be on a road to recovery :)

    Keep in touch
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eric,

      Nice to hear from you, yes I remember you from the archwired forums! The final countdown is fairly unpredictable but yes this is IT- its finally happening, seems surreal. The anxiety yes comes and goes, but its normal to have this 'flight-like' emotion, who wants to get hurt willingly? Keeping busy definitely helps. Have you gotten all your supplies ready? How long have you been in braces and what are you having done?

      Its going to be a long road, but I think keeping as positive a mindset as possible will help :)! oohhh I was going to mention there is a facebook group called we got/need jaw surgery- join it if you havent already, its a wonderful support group for jaw surgery people!

      I hope everything goes smoothly for you as well, and when the going gets tough know its such a short minuscule period in the grand scheme of things, it WILL pass!

      Take care
      S




      Delete
  2. Hi!!!

    Glad to see you upbeat!! I had my hospital pre op appointment yesterday. It went very well, I'm very pleased with the staff and how informative they were.

    Pretty much I'm healthy enough to continue with the surgery!!! Yay!!! And I voiced my concern about being really nervous, so as soon as I arrive they will give me something to relax me :)

    I have been in braces for just over 2 years now (it took awhile to get my teeth into the right position) my teeth were pretty bad before starting. I have pre braces pics on my blog.

    I'm having double jaw and my chin lowered a bit. So pretty much the works!!! Lol. Bonus is, surgeon said I won't need a splint because my ortho did such a great job in lining up my teeth. Bonus!!!!

    I wish you all the best and will continue to follow your progress!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete

 

Blogroll

Blogger news

About

The pursuit of a beautiful smile, healthy bite, and balanced facial aesthetics.