Sometimes things get... Complicated !!!

Hellooooooooo jaw buddies, I hope you are all well.
A lot of changes have been taking place in jaw land and otherwise. First things first, my roommate is getting married this month YAAAAY :D! Meaning we are ending our lease :( and I need to find another roomie by the end of the month or get my own place, Im so sad that we are parting... I've contemplated about heading back home to Chicago till I get myself figured out in this transitional phase, trying to figure out what I want to careerwise, education, etc. While there are many things that I love about Arizona endless sunny days, warm weather and it being a few hours away from LA, Vegas etc. Im not sure I have much reason to remain here without a clear purpose.

Now to Jawland funnnn... not really but. Jawland funnnn lol... Since I was having serious reservations about a 15mm lower jaw advancement by Dr.G, I connected with a surgeon I consulted with back in early 2011 Dr.J in Chicago, and wanted to know what kind of treatment plan he had for me. He has been very honest and consultative in all of his correspondence with me, email, phone, etc....I asked him kindly to share with me how he would treat my case if we moved forward he then proceeded to mention there was another fee (ontop of the consult fee I already paid?) to work on my case and make it presentable to insurance. He said he would also need to get in touch with my ortho (he doesnt even know I have braces or I decided to move fwd with a different ortho).... oh lordy lord.
I HATE that I am so indecisive but also hate that I dont feel 100% with anyone. So I will have to make a decision on which surgeon I feel understands my case the best and can help me get the results I am looking for. Yes I am a pain the ass, God knows it, but I cannot help it.  Im scared, optimistic, hopeful, anxious, a bundle of madness in this process.

Im definitely having a quarter life crisis, everyone I know is getting married, engaged or popping out kids...I've got a lot on my plate like potentially moving, jaw issues, career/education issues.... time for some Yoga and chill pills...

Anywayssssss....I would LOVE it if you can share, how you found your surgeon (if you got to choose), why did you select them, and did you ever have any doubts about their decisions ? For those who've had the surgery were you happy with your choice, or ?

<3

8 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for putting the time into finding a good surgeon.
    Ahhh we need to chat soon. I'll try to catch you tomorrow night so we can catch up. I want to hear all about what you're going to be doing. So you're thinking Chicago for the time being? It's a big choice but it will give you time to think.
    I promise you it must be something in the water down there, because we're pretty much the same age and all my friends are wild. Not at word of marriage, its like a bad word over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra you are such sunshine! Yeah lets catch up, Im trying to make myself think that Chicago is a "choice" instead of it feeling forced. In reality my options are running low, 25 days till the month is over, I would need to find a job that paid as well as my old job if not more to stay here. I love many many things about Arizona but more than a place I need to get my life's priorities straight and in order!
      Catch up with you soon! :)

      Delete
  2. I think with these sorts of things you have to have all the facts from both surgeons in front of you and go with your gut. I know you have been nervous about the 15mm lower jaw movement and I don't blame you. If I were you, I'd get the second opinion and see if it differs at all from the first. If it doesn't then you can begin to trust the first surgeon, if it does differ and the second surgeon comes up with an alternative treatment plan which you feel more confident with, then you can go from there. I think you are doing the right thing in consulting somebody else. It is your body and you should not go ahead if you are feeling uncomfortable with what he is proposing!
    I would love to know what you decide so please do keep me updated.
    With regards to my own surgeon, I believe it might be slightly different because I am from England, but I too had to choose between 2 surgeons and I just went with my gut and chose the one who made me feel most comfortable.
    I must say, both Arizona and Chigaco sound amazing to me. I travelled through Arizona a few years ago and thought it was absolutely beautiful. I moved to Singapore a couple of years ago and had a similar crisis. I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life and felt rather lost away from family and friends so I ended up coming home to England in the end! I hope all works out for you!
    Becky xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, thanks for all of your advice! You are right we need to compare apples to apples, and I need all the info from surgeon 2 before making a final decision! I spoke last night with a patient who went with the first surgeon saying he slightly over projects because within a year or two you might have 1-2 mm relapse so yeah its a fascinating science!!

      I always tell people in the UK you are SO LUCKY, you dont have to stress or worry about the money end of it or even selecting the right surgeon!

      Btw your pictures at the Queen's Jubilee were lovely, its awesome how you guys do not let the rain ruin your days :)

      Take care doll
      xo

      Delete
  3. Please don't rush into this decision. You should feel 100% ready and confident in your choice. I'm on the other side and have better results overall but still not even close to what I expected. I felt so ready at the time of surgery and couldn't wait to wake up. Who knows even though your having doubts your surgery may end up great. Is your surgeon is Dr. Gunson? If so I think that I have heard that he and Arnette are supposed to be the best. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there :)
      Thanks for being so reassuring, you are right I shouldn't rush into a decision. Do you have a blog and photos, would love to know more about your case! What do you mean by 'not even close to what I expected', I am curious?
      Yeah thats who Dr.G is, I found him because everyone online says they are the best. I am super skeptical so we will have to see if they can turn this beast into belle lol !

      Delete
  4. Hey, I recently added a blog which summarizes my treatment. If it doesn't answer your question let me know and I will try to explain further. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I am a patient of Dr. Gunson's, and I will be having surgery in December or January hopefully (I just got my braces on a few days ago). I can tell you that I consulted with another surgeon in addition to Dr. Gunson, and felt way more comfortable with Dr. Gunson than with the other guy (who still has an excellent reputation). It's important to find a surgeon you feel comfortable with - not just in terms of experience and reputation, but also personality and demeanor. I'm not that far into my journey, but please feel free to check out my blog; I will be updating it as the months pass, and maybe my experience can offer you some perspective. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blogroll

Blogger news

About

The pursuit of a beautiful smile, healthy bite, and balanced facial aesthetics.