Talk with Surgeon.



Not too much has happened since my last post. I scheduled a phone call with my potential surgeon and spoke with him yesterday as the treatment coordinator was getting overwhelmed with my questions... yes lol

First things first, I wanted a better understanding for the 15mm lower jaw advancement. Several surgeons prior to him in my consults said my movements both upper and lower would be far less than 10mm and I shouldnt have to worry about PERMANENT nerve damage or loss of sensation. He said 2 REASONS why permanent nerve damage happens :
#1- lack of experience from the surgeon in large jaw advancements
#2- a certain technique of clamping the jaw together and applying pressure with plates and screws that cause this damage.

He said less than 1% experience permanent nerve damage with him, but with all patients there is some kind of sensation change, but if you are that 1% it 100% HAPPENS TO YOU. Makes sense. Also right after surgery it is expected that you will have lack of feeling/sensation...

I also asked about, movement of the upper jaw forward and up, and having my lip cover my teeth or having octopus lips as I like call it... He had mentioned that because I already have a shorter upper lip I shouldnt be too worried about that, and he's taken that into consideration that it will droop a bit as I age...

I also asked him about how often he is communicating with my orthodontist, he said that he is expecting a report from him in March about my progress to better determine WHEN I might be ready for surgery. I also get a new wire and who knows what else... FUN SAUCE!

I've also been contacting patients that my potential surgeon has worked on and everyone sings him high praises, its hard for me to now consider anyone else...

Anyways I plan on taking some photos with my progress to share how everything is coming along....

happy weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I got your post and hopefully I can help...

    I found my surgeon 5 years ago...I had a really awful locked jaw my senior year of college and I couldn't open more than a few mm's for a long time. My surgeon practices with the hospital in my area, which is among the Top Ten of the US. My mom actually found my surgeon for me! When I had lock jaw, she looked up the oral surgery department at the hospital and made me an appointment!

    He has been my surgeon for everything I have had done regarding my TMJ's/bite (splint therapy/arthocentesis/arthoscopic surgery/teeth extractions) and when I was ready to proceed with jaw surgery, he recommended me to my orthodontist, who he works with regularly. This was important to me because he and my OD talk regularly about my case.

    I feel super comfortable with him because he knows all of my history, and since I have been with him, he has seen me through all my bite changes.

    Does your OD have any surgeons he works with regularly with orthognathic surgery? Do you have any nationally recognized hospitals in your area? Luckily, I didn't have to find my surgeon since he has been mine for a while ;) Good luck with everything...It's important to feel comfortable with your surgeon and be able to talk to him about any concerns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki,

      Thank you for your long and detailed response. You are very lucky and blessed to have such a close relationship with your surgeon, it is clear you fully trust him which is very important in the process... Do you mind disclosing who your surgeon is? I am narrowing it down and Im open to meeting with one or so more surgeons before pulling the trigger and saying THIS guy is it.

      I found my orthodontist online, he had great reviews and really liked his work so I went to him after much deliberation. He then referred me to a top oral surgeon in CA that he has worked with so I consulted with him in December, and it went well. I've also consulted with 4-5 oral surgeons so far and the one in CA and another in IL are the only ones that seem 'right' ....

      Its hard with this process for someone who LOVES having control, even with the surgeon you choose there is little you can do after that.

      Have you asked your surgeon about numbness and loss of sensation. I remember reading one of your posts that he proposed about the same movement 5-6mm top jaw and 15-16mm lower jaw. I'd love to know what he has to say about large jaw advancements (this is a pressing issue!)

      Take care :)

      Delete
  2. I just saw your comment on my blog post! I am so sorry I didn't see it sooner! I had Cigna PPO insurance. Dr. G's office was very helpful with this area of things. If you have any other questions you can email me marshall.marym@gmail.com. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blogroll

Blogger news

About

The pursuit of a beautiful smile, healthy bite, and balanced facial aesthetics.